Thursday 17 May 2012

Starved to Death.

The vulture that waited for the child to die




Above photo shows a famine-stricken child crawling towards a United Nations food camp, which was located at least one kilometer away from the place shown. The vulture on the other hand is waiting eagerly for the child to die so that it can devour it.
Three months after he took the above photograph Kevin Carter, after suffering from several periods of depression, committed suicide.


Dated on the day the photo was taken, the following note was found from his diary:
Dear God, 
I promise I will never waste my food no matter how bad it can taste and how full I may be. 
I pray that He will protect this little boy, guide and deliver him away from his misery. 
I pray that we will be more sensitive towards the world around us and not be blinded by our own selfish nature and interests.
 I hope this picture will always serve as a reminder to us that how fortunate we are and that we must never ever take things for granted.


Although this photograph was taken in 1994, the condition today in 2012 is not very good, perhaps worse. Not that you see these conditions in countries like Africa,Sudan alone but also in developing countries like India also, Yes IN OUR INDIA, in Maharashtra,Melghat.


I know what you are thinking. Maybe you are thinking that I have gone mad because i am discussing this topic. Why do i have to care about it? I am not a social worker. I am not Anna Hazare. I am not Amir Khan. But I am a human being. I too have feelings. I feel that it is really sad that there are so many people on this earth who don't even get their basic needs. They are going through a really tough time.

I just read these unbelievable facts:-
- Every year 15 million children die of hunger (so per day 41,095 children)


- The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving


- Since you've entered this site at least 200 people have died of starvation. Over 4 million will die this year.


- Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger.

Is it okay for us to waste food when most of the people are starving?? Ask yourself this question.


Even when i decided to write this blog post few days back, I could see people at a wedding "shooing" away the beggars and their children who asked for food. After the wedding I saw them throwing away large amount of food in the gutter. This is our mentality. Shame on us.


At least after I saw this photo I will never keep "names to the food" and never waste it no matter what. I hope you do the same.


Credits****
Google
FULL CREDITS TO ABOVE LINK, THANKS FOR OPENING MY EYES





No comments:

Post a Comment