Sunday 13 May 2012

A Book Review


"Behind every successful man,there is a woman"


The above line is proved again by a very good example of Sudha Murthy. Everyone knows Narayana Murthy- the founder of Infosys. How many of you know about his wife Sudha Murthy? I didnt know much about her until I recently read a book named "How I taught my grandmother to read and other stories by Sudha Murthy" I absolutely loved this book. It was written by her for children but it is soo good and heart touching book that everyone must read it. Simple use of English, natural style of writing make this book very enjoyable.

The first story of this book is about the writer's grandmother. She is an illiterate woman having deep desire for reading. A sixty two year old woman tells story of her childhood to twelve year old granddaughter and cries to learn. The little girl understands her granny's ambitions and teaches her to read kannada. The most touching incident is when she succesfully learns how to read and the grandmother touches the feet of her granddaughter at that time she says "I am not touching the feet of my granddaughter but of my teacher"

Likewise, there are many stories from the writers life which taught her some lessons, some beautiful values which we cannot learn in school. The writer is a teacher, she teaches computer science to post graduate students. Hence she meets many youngsters, as well as she meets people of all age groups due to social activities undertaken by Infosys foundation.

This book is available for Rs 150. Whenever someone buys this book the entire money goes to Ramkrishna mission ,Belgaum as a donation for youth development programme

Here is an extract from the book:-
“Sir, I am leaving TELCO.”
“Where are you going?”
“Pune, Sir. My husband is starting a company called Infosys. So I have to shift to Pune.”
“Oh! What will you do when you are successful?”
“Sir, I do not know whether we will be successful or not.”
“Never start with diffidence. Always start with confidence. When you are successful, you must give back to society. Society gives us so much, we must return it. I wish you all the best.”
Then JRD continued walking up the stairs.’

-Kalyani




Credits:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudha_Murty
google

No comments:

Post a Comment