Wednesday 15 July 2015

LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO

(THIS STORY IS NOT REAL. PURE IMAGINATION)


We all heaved a sigh of relief when Professor Shinde finally took his retirement from college. Nobody liked him. Although his knowledge was incomparable, his strictness and love for discipline made everyone uncomfortable. Even the toppers hesitated to ask him any doubts because if someone dared to ask him a silly question he would only shake his head or “cough” in reply. He always said to us being post graduate students he expects us to know everything. But  we all expected that whoever replaced him would be better. Our group was the coolest gang in the college. 

And the next day in class we were gossiping as usual and suddenly a tall, dark and handsome guy entered. He couldn’t go unnoticed. All of us were staring him. There was a hullabaloo in the entire class.
“New guy in the middle of the sem?” 
“Maybe he’s someone’s bro.”
With confidence, patience and his hands folded, he stood there for entire two minutes. Finally our discussion came to an end without any conclusion and we kept silent.
“So it seems that students these days have no manners. Anyways, Good morning everyone, I’m Prakash Rao. Hereafter I will be teaching you Physics. I would like to know your names. Let’s start from here.” He said pointing towards Neha who was sitting on first bench.
The next 30 minutes passed effortlessly. The bell rang. And we started talking again.
“OMG he’s soooo young. Can’t believe he’s our teacher”
“ And handsome too.”

While everyone was busy praising him, Neha didn’t speak a word. He appeared strangely familiar to her although she was sure they had never met before.

As days passed,we all became comfortable with Prakash sir. In practicals he would come running to us to solve our doubts. He made sure every student understood what he was teaching. 

Somehow one thing caught everyone's eye. We came to a realization that Rao sir talked a lot with Neha as compared to others. He would ask her more questions and she would answer. While teaching he would look at her every now and then reading her face.He would linger around her everytime. We had even started teasing her by his name. Neha was irritated by all this. She started avoiding him. The most sincere girl had started missing his lectures. Even if she would attend the lecture she would sit at the last bench just staring at the blackboard.

The other day she looked worried,rather upset. We asked her if anything was wrong. She said in a low voice

"Yesterday I went to the library. He was there. I tried to avoid him.But he asked me if I was free today and he would like to have a coffee with me.I really don't know what to do" 

We teased her even more till she blushed. Oh come on Neha, its just a coffee, you must go. Maybe he likes you. There's nothing wrong in a cuppa coffee. Call him now, we handed over her cellphone. She called him, we giggled and abandoned her pretending she was going to speak something very private. Someone even said best luck. 

We were curious to know what happened so we asked Neha the next day. 

"It was really nice meeting him. He is very decent man."

Things became normal after one cup of coffee. She was now attending her lectures regularly. She had stopped avoiding him. Perhaps they were meeting on weekends.

One day we were sitting in the canteen. She looked confused. We asked her if there was some problem. 

"I don't know what to do. He asked me If I could be his friend. His Family lives at Assam. He has a wife and a daughter. He said he likes me and just wanted to be my friend as he feels lonely here."

There was a lot of debate after she said this. But we finally agreed to one thing. Yes we all need a emotional support when we are alone. He only asked you to be a friend. He needs you Neha, and he is a good man. You can be friends. Friendship never killed someone. She followed our advice.

She looked happier than ever. Her life was now full of joy. She would talk to him a lot discuss every little problem she had right from the colour of her nailpolish to choosing the right career path, he had solution to every problem she had and would never mind her silly talks. She was a good friend too. An understanding and caring girl every man aspires. Their friendship had flourished.A true friendship without a trace of lust.

One day he asked her out for dinner. It was no more awkward as they were now good friends. But somehow she felt this dinner was going to be special. After the dinner when they were about to leave he said,

"I don't know how to say this to you, being a married man. I really love you Neha. I love you a lot. I got married when I was 21. Since then there has been only a burden of responsibilities and not love. My wife has a very small world she is completely satisfied when I send her my monthly salary. There is no compassion in my life. I feel neglected. But when I met you, everything changed. I became more passionate in my life. I love you Neha and I know you will never love me back. And it is okay if you don't. Just let me love you because you give me strength to survive." 

She came back to hostel with mixed feelings.It was a big shock for us when we came to know about everything.And then what did you say? We asked her.
"I didn't say anything. He had answered his own question."
Days passed so quickly. We gave our annual exam waiting for the results. Some girls had started bridegroom hunting. We were now standing at the crossroads of our life, we were about to take most important decisions of life, life partner, career. The carefree college life was about to finish. Neha's parents too had found a suitable bridegroom for her. And then we recieved her marriage invitation, so did Prakash sir.

Results came. We had passed with flying colours. Neha had scored the highest marks in university. But she was crying, crying loudly. 

"Did he do something to you?"
We will teach him a lesson, Lets call our Amravati friends.
What happened tell us. Did he break your marriage?????"
She was still crying and then she said that she wanted to meet him. Boys knew where he stayed as a paying guest. We went together to his place. Fortunately we found him. He was about to leave with his bags. He was not surprised to see us standing at the door. 

"So congratulations all of you on completing post graduation. Neha what are you doing here you'r supposed to get married in a few days, right?" He said in a casual way.
"And where are you going with your bags packed, sir?"
"I have left this job. I am going back to my hometown." he said avoiding her eye.

                  She had tears in her eyes. But she finally spoke, being her last chance to speak.

" And what about me? You loved me unconditionally. Did you ever ask me about my feelings? I really love you a lot and I want you in my life. Whenever my parents found a groom for me, I always unknowingly compared him with you. Nobody had qualities like you. And my fiance? He doesn't even care about me. He looks upon me as a woman. Not a human being. You cannot end everything like this. I need you, sir"

We all became silent. It was an intense moment. He answered,

"I knew. That is why I am leaving. We cannot be so selfish Neha. Think about yourself practically. You are young and talented. We are in love but I am not the right person for you. Don't get carried away in emotions. Think carefully. Your fiance is the right guy for you. Give him some time, he will understand you. He is your true soulmate."

"You are right, Sir." She wiped her tears.
 So did we.

3 comments: